When performing hyperparameter optimization, grid search is a valuable tool for exploring all possible parameter combinations. However, there are situations where you need more control over the parameter combinations. For instance, you might have insights that certain values are irrelevant to the final results. In such cases, you can choose the manual search as your Task type.
Manual search allows you to input parameter value combinations, known as parameter sets, one by one. This approach offers efficiency gains, saving both time and computational resources, as you avoid running unnecessary executions that do not impact the final outcome.
Create a manual task
- Open your project on Valohai
- Navigate to the Task tab.
- Click “Create task” to initiate the task creation process.
- Select the Step within your project that contains the parameters you want to use for the manual search.
- Scroll down to the “Parameters” section.
- In the “Task type” dropdown, select “Manual search” as the Task type.
- Configure the following settings:
- Set the values for each parameter: Define the specific values for each parameter you want to include in the manual search
- Choose the type: Select whether you want to input a single value or multiple values for each parameter.
- To add a new set of parameter values, click on the “Add new set” button.
After defining your parameter sets, click on “Create task.”
Valohai will initiate a series of executions to perform the manual search. Each execution will correspond to one of the parameter sets you defined when creating the Task.